PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heightened security at U.S airports (and overseas?)
Old 9th Jul 2014, 07:57
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The security ratchet is tightening again. According to the BBC earlier today:

The Department for Transport (DfT) said there could be checks "on some routes into or out of the UK" but did not disclose which routes were involved.
The DfT then went on to say:

Passengers flying into or out of the UK are therefore advised to make sure electronic devices being carried in their hand luggage are charged before they travel.
I can imagine the confusion and delays at airports because as soon as the word "some" is used it will be interpreted locally as "every". Then, realising that this will cause unacceptable delays, a local "solution" will be dreamed up by the security mullahs. But the work-a-round will be even more draconian and cause further delays because most passengers will be wrong-footed because they might be expecting national standards to be applied, but they rarely are, let alone European standards. I hope I'm wrong but we are now approaching the peak "bucket & spade" travelling season. And charter passengers are generally good targets at regional airports for security games. We'll see what happens!

Just out of interest, when will I be prevented from going airside when I present a foreign buss pass? Just out of sheer cussedness I always show it and it appears to work more often than not. Then I'd like to know when someone will actually check to make sure that I'm meant to be airside. The only place this happens now is in Italy. There your name is checked off against "l'elenco", your company ID in some cases a passport or photo ID card. They don't really care what's in your bags because you will shortly be driving an aircraft. In the UK, you can get airside with a uniform and buss pass and be given an aircraft, providing of course your iPad, laptop, camera, torch, mobile phones all work and you are not carrying a nasty yoghurt. Truly ridiculous!

Security yes, but please let's do it right.