PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator Training for strong crosswind landings
Old 9th Jul 2014, 00:20
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rudderrudderrat
Thanks very much for the info on sim motion cueing.
You are very welcome.

Originally Posted by AirRabbit
Flat, long term, level movements are not normally experienced, and when they are, they are almost always short lived, brief duration excursions,
During taxiing with big turns, we experience long term sideways accelerations. During the take off and especially during a Rejected Take Off, the sideways accelerations in the sim are not realistic and often result in over controlling and PIO. (Please see article by Learmount)
Well, first, I apologize … I wasn’t aware you were speaking about ground based operations. However, I can say that I don’t believe I’ve encountered the kinds of PIO you describe (i.e., during Take Off or Rejected Take Off) in any simulator. So, I’m somewhat at a loss to know exactly what you mean.

Second, I am familiar with David Learmount, and his article on LM2. I’m also familiar with Capt. Filip VanBievliet, the guy who “developed” LM2 (Lateral Maneuvering Motion), while he was with Sabena – and it was Sabena that was originally offering LM2 for sale. Mr. VanBivliet, an engineer by training, has, I think, spun off his company from Sabena, and I, believe, is now the owner/principle operator of “AWx” or “Acceleration Worx” – still out of the Netherlands. While I have no personal issues with Mr. VanBivliet and have no intent or desire to insult or criticize him or his work, I do know some in the business who would take that opportunity. Of course, I’m sure I have my own detractors out there as well. If you would like to know a bit more about what at least some in this industry have to say on this subject – please send me a PM and I’ll share some of them with you. I understand if this would not be of interest to you.

Originally Posted by AirRabbit
it’s just that the technical folks with whom I’ve worked regularly, tell me that today's existing algorithms can provide a better mix of roll and lateral cueing than LM2 can provide …
Well I for one am really looking forward to your technical folks providing better algorithms. How long do you think we will have to wait?
I suppose, as you would likely imagine, that would depend on the level of urgency those folks feel about developing such algorithms … and what it would mean to them … and that likely would be directly related to either job security or some other financial benefits. Of course, a regulatory authority could mandate that such improvements be made … and the likelihood of that happening is also directly tied to the amount of public clamour that might be generated. So, I don’t have an answer for you … but I suspect it is likely to happen – sometime.

Last edited by AirRabbit; 9th Jul 2014 at 01:51.