PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerolineas Argentina A340 runway incursion BCN video
Old 8th Jul 2014, 14:45
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMan2
Compare the aborted and successful landings (taken with roughly the same focal length), count the seconds to touchdown and the time it takes the A340 to clear the runway and then tell me again that the aborted landing isn't dramatic...
It is difficult to compare as the two landings are shot with focus on slightly different point, plus we never actually see the A340 enter or vacate the runway, and the first shot of the successful landing is (I think) lower than the height of the previous go around. So, picking comparison points is tricky. The angles (including the taxiway crossing angle) and the foreshortening also don't help. We also have to assume identical touchdown point in both landings.

Given all that, I reckon the 340 enters runway (not seen) at about 1 sec before 0:30, and is centred on at about 0:36 and should therefore be off it (again not seen) by 0:43. 767 on first attempt starts to GA at 0:33, second attempt first visible point is 1:13, and looks lower than the GA height (0:33) but lets call it the same (pessimistic). NLG touches down at 1:23, crosses A340 path at approx 1:30 (but that is looking at A340 MLG and it's a bit wider than that...).

So, from 0:33 (go around), at 7s A340 vacates, 10s 767 NLG down, 15-20s 767 crosses A340 path. Some error in those numbers, collision margin _might_ be <10s, but it doesn't look like they would have collided. I'd be surprised if it was "normal" though.

Some press today has quotes from the 767 pilots e.g. Boeing 767 pilot reveals moment he had to abort landing to avoid collision at Barcelona airport | Mail Online