PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shocking example of low flying
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2003, 08:43
DrSyn

Man of the Marsh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beeayeate, glad to help. Your original link contained characters (probably the brackets) that won't work on a hot-link. . . . . or, of course the tilde !

Just going back a while to SALAD DODGER's post of 22nd April 2003 16:11, the text in the link might imply to the uninitiated something to do with Saudi. Those pics are of a Sultan of Oman's Air Force (then, now RAFO) Jaguar, and the aftermath of another which I reproduce here with fond memories of 4 years with SOAF in the early '80s.

The pilot posing by his standard issue SOAF Corolla is "Wiz", who was the duty pilot on the range at Thumrait that day and was returning to base when he was bounced (literally in this case) by a pair of Jags led by Dick Manning. It was Dick's wingman who rearranged the Toyota into a more trendy flat-top model.

Being a good fighter pilot, Wiz was indeed watching his 6 and saw them coming. He also warned the preceding car to beware. The Nš2 Jag pulled up a split-second too soon and caught his stern on the Corolla's roof. Fortunately, Wiz had already ducked below the level of his dashboard.

Although I never saw it myself, I was reliably informed by mates at Thumrait that, on RTB, the Jag's jet pipes were slighly oval and the ventral strakes were inclined towards the horizontal.

Both Wiz and the wingman went on sucessfully to pursue more sedate careers in civil aviation