PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone got a kitfox or avid speedwing?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2014, 00:55
500ft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did about 30 hours in a Kitfox V tailwheel that was owned by a family member for a while, great little plane. I wouldn’t describe it as quirky, can’t remember it doing anything unexpected, but maybe I didn't have enough experience to know better. Took a little practice but I was relatively new to tail wheel.

Carl pretty much describes if well. You do need to use the rudder, the pedals were quite firm also. Early on sometimes climb out performance seemed to a bit poor and I realized I was flying sideways, a bit of rudder made it much better. It seemed quite happy flying sideways so when you want to be slipping its great.

Only one thing of note is the cowling is a slightly tapered and so straight ahead is quite far left looking from the pilots seat, so I found I needed to put my head in the middle and get a feeling for straight ahead while getting used to it.

The Kitfox is defiantly on my shortlist when I can afford to buy a kit (in about 200 years time). The others currently on my shortlist are the Rans (S6 or the new S20) or a cub replica such as the Ziln Savage Cub. Have never actually flown the others yet