PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2014, 20:54
GrimReaper71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike Warren

Project Propeller organiser signing in, first time post.

I fear I must tread carefully here, in case I make assertions that are quite untrue. However, I can comment thus:

• I too was surprised by the age reference in the BBC clip. At this stage, I thought it was perhaps an editorial error, or perhaps there had been an under-age sign-up.
  • During the course of trying to find veterans for Project Propeller, I encountered a lot of people with links to Squadron Associations. In the past few days, I have been in touch with a researcher who has access to the Operational Record Book of 619 Squadron, with whom Mr Warren states that he flew. There is no-one of that name listed in the ORB.
  • The badge on the blazer worn by Mr Warren at the event in June was a generic Bomber Command crest, it was not a specific squadron badge.
  • I acknowledged every veteran registration for Project Propeller with a telephone call. Sometimes this developed into a lengthy conversation, as it did in this case. The tales of wartime service related by Mr Warren have already been noted above, copied from another forum. The telephone call lasted for nearly an hour; the demeanour shown on the telephone, and that shown on the day were markedly different; a willingness to chat on the phone, a marked unwillingness to do so in person.
I really do hope that there is a rational explanation, rather than the one I fear. I would find it hard to adequately articulate my feelings on the subject if a deception has taken place.