PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator Training for strong crosswind landings
Old 7th Jul 2014, 20:32
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rudderrudderrat
You are not alone. We must use our sense of lateral acceleration (poor in most sims) and heading changes (non existent in most sims) to anticipate track deviations earlier. When those clues are missing or lag the real world, then we tend to over correct which causes PIO.

& I'm glad this effect is now admitted:
"Many pilots also develop nausea in simulators due to the poor correlation between visual and motion cues."
Of course it is true – and has been acknowledged, for well over 3 decades, that visual cues that precede or lag an associated motion on-set cue can, and does in many cases, cause some degree of discomfort – and that often varies widely from person to person. However, there is more than a modicum of a requirement to accept that what is seen and what is felt is, indeed, mutually generated causes-effects … AND … because the visual systems are adjusted to provide the appropriate cueing to pilots who are occupying the pilot seats, and those seats are properly adjusted to the appropriate pilot eye-position, those who see the visual scene from a position other than the pilot’s position, have a greater potential for suffering from this effect.

I suspect that you are very likely aware that as a requirement of simulator evaluation for qualification – by all of the regulatory authorities with whom I am familiar – all require that the motion and visual systems fall within a published range of initiation/response. Also, there are times when, for whatever reason, this authorized range of initiation/response has become compromised – and the required daily preflight would likely catch this anomaly, but surely if such a distracting situation were to be written up in the simulator discrepancy log – the maintenance folks are usually quite good at reviewing and correcting those kinds of issues.

While I acknowledge that some simulators don’t provide lateral cues that are as good as the same cues in an airplane, it is also true that they do exist, in each and every simulator – perhaps not to your liking or expectation – and, to some degree, the LM2 addition can provide a better lateral cue – but, as I described in the above post, it does so with at least the potential of compromising the roll cue, and that potential is either not realized, or is realized, or is not only realized but is exacerbated, depending on the individual experiencing the phenomenon and to what degree the roll cue has been compromised by that programming.