PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2014, 20:29
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Vengeances

Danny, Chugalug will, I'm sure, well remember a pilot on 30Sqn Hercs', and may have known him on Hastings, one 'Jolly' Jack Huntington.

Jack had flown VVs and Spitfires on the Arakan front - maybe your paths crossed. He was a 'reet' Lancashire lad from a fishing family at Fleetwood, quite short, with a beaked konk and appeared to have no neck. A legend in his own lifetime!

I think he may have converted to transport not long after WWII; the stories about him were many. Apparently he was ordered to attend Jurby to be commissioned sometime in the late 50s and it all turned to worms when the first corporal instructor to chew him off was told in no uncertain terms to 'fook off'.

On another occasion, by now a Flt Lt, he was in the OM bar at South Cerney ( the then domestic site for Fairford ), took umbrage at the juke box playing, went off to his room, came back with a pair of pliers and snipped the wires to the speakers, muttering 'that'll stop that bloody racket'.

As befitted a former NCO pilot a very smartly turned-out officer but still equipped with a sprinkling of industrial language. I think he PVRed aged 50 in 1973 having decided the modern world was not for him!