PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Waddington cheap skates got their comeuppance!!
Old 7th Jul 2014, 18:25
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I'd say that counting on a NATO fast jet pilot's ability to land without hitting the boundary fence was a pretty safe bet ...
I wouldn't take up gambling then if I were you...

I fly from somewhere that is probably very close to Waddington and am continually amazed by the spectators who stand underneath the approach waiting for their Darwin award. There have been instances of jets flying through the boundary hedge. Of course when the first of those spectators are killed as will inevitably happen there will be uproar; which will be akin to complaining that you were hit by a car while standing in the fast lane of the M1 taking photographs. There is no fathoming some people. If you are willing to take that risk then fair enough, but why not spare a thought for the poor sod that knocks your head off and has to live the rest of his life with that.

I will say it only once, anyone standing under the approach is risking their life; it is not a game, none of the pilots can see you (nor are they looking for you), all they are concentrating on is the most critical phase of any flight, the landing; and sometimes even the best pilots get it a bit pearshaped. That's the reason why you are not supposed to be there, it's for your safety.

Don't think so! Red lights come on to stop traffic at least 3 minutes before anything lands.
And you will find that locally based trucks etc who are up and down the A15 all day go sailing straight through on red. I see it happen regularly. We were talking about this today and one of our guys who is ex Vulcan actually blew a van over on the A15 while performing his pre take off engine checks on 20 (or 21 as it was in those days).

Edit: Always glad to see people like OPF in the viewing areas. Plenty of people there up till early afternoon today.

Last edited by thing; 7th Jul 2014 at 18:39.