PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-16 low approach, Wadders.
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2014, 11:00
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
Surely the re-routing of Ermine Street between Lindum and Eboracum goes back earlier than that?

It seems that a couple of centurions were arguing about the best route; should the road follow the line of what later became the B1398 along the bottom of the Lincoln Edge, or should Ermine Street be improved. The discussions went on for some time; one centurion was worried about the danger of ambush from the low life who lived beneath the edge causing him to require more legions and cohorts every time he went north to duff up the Picts, whereas the other was more concerned at the exposed nature of the top of the Edge along Ermine Street.

This ruckus attracted the attention of Caesar....

"Why do you argue so, centurions?"
"Err, Hail Caesar. It is this road here in the land of the Britons"
"These things having been said however, notwithstanding the having been stated arguments, bloody sort it, will you!"
"My Lord, we are unable to agree"
"Best you do - or it's off to gladiator school for the pair of you!"
"Verily have we tried, O Caesar, but have failed to agree"
"Right. Hand me that ruler and thy strigil, in order that I can decide! And thy map of parchment"
"By your command, Sire..."

"Good", mumbled Caesar. "Right from here, the college which I shall name Bishop Grottestrix and fill with nubile young wenches, in order my legionnaires to please, to here - the port of Winteringham by the river. It shall follow this route; hear ye buggers that this shall be my command!"

Placing the ruler between the two points, he dragged the strigil across the parchment. But, in common with later generations of student pilots, he caught his thumb with the strigil, causing it to jump off the ruler and the route to have a bend in it....

Now, parchment being expensive and time being short, rather than send for a new map, he peered at the result and asked one of the centurions for the name of the nearest settlement to the diversion. "Sire, 'tis known in those parts as Scampton - inhabited by a strange tribe who worship the god Vulcan", he replied.

"Well, so be it. The barbarians will be avoided, in order for the legions to march quickly to defeat the Picts. Now, build the road as I command, or become lion fodder"

"As Caesar commands, so shall it be", chorused the centurions.

Which is why there's now a bend in the A15 at Scampton!