PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking for some help to understand the best pathway to becoming an Engineer.
Old 7th Jul 2014, 08:39
Nathan1986

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for some help to understand the best pathway to becoming an Engineer.

Hi all,

Im hoping that members of this forum can help me to gain a better understanding of the best way to become a AME/LAME and understand the differences properly.

A little about me, Im 28 and currently live in Australia, working as Workshop Foreman/Head Technician at a Mitsubishi Dealership. Over the next month or two I should have my Citizenship here which I guess opens some doors for career prospects in the future. I will be going back to the UK, at least for the short term around January/February.

I have always been interested in the Aviation Industry and Im considering the prospect of becoming an AME/LAME. Ive done a little research and I'm hoping to clarify a few things.

1. What is the difference between an AME/LAME?

2. Do all AME/LAME's study part 66 basic, then decide which area they would want to work in? fixed wing/rotary?

3. When I come back to the UK, I would like to study at my own pace around my current work. I have looked at lrtt and Virgin Engineering Academy and they say they provide "ad hoc" exams each month. Would I be right in thinking this is studying a module at your own pace and then going to them to sit a particular module examination?

Thanks you to everybody in advance for you guidance.

Nathan1986