PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X Country in CA
Thread: X Country in CA
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2003, 05:32
Sensible

Flies for fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fraid Catalina and Sedona landings are off the agenda these days with ADP aircraft. Something to do with the insurance company getting fed up with damage to aircraft caused by hard landings! Still, the overfly is good still. Mc Carron International (Las Vegas) is a good bet, the overnight parking at Signature cost me $38 and they waived the $22 handling fee when I purchased the required minimum of 7 gals Av Gas. Hotels are cheap, try the Howard Johnson if you are on a budget, should cost no more than 40bucks a night if you avoid weekends. Bullhead is worth a visit, Visit Page in Arizona (beautiful scenery over lake Powell) via the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon National Park, its a good ride but GPS is pretty well a must through there tho cos there is a tight corridor between two no fly zones which extend from the surface to 14,500ft and whilst ATC are very helpful, violation of the national park no fly zones could spoil your day! santa Maria is a good spot, overfly MJ's Never Land ranch if the weather is cavok, it's just to the South of Santa Maria Class Delta, I didn't find it due to cloud but had an overnight in a hotel actually on the runway. How cool is parking the airplane outside the hotel? Even if it was a bit on the pricey but very nice side! Santa Barbara is nice with a restaurant right on the beach five minutes away on foot. Big Bear is a must, the restaurant on the runway is good too! Santa Paula is good for breakfast (don't overfly the city, check out the noise abatement rukles and traffic pattern altitude is something like 600ft -you will see why if you fly it) two good Mexican cafe's within five minutes walk up on the main street also it's a step back in time and definitely very Latino! a good site for airport info is www.airnav.com which gives infoon airports and cheapest fuel locations if you don't plan on returning to Bracket to refuel. ADP give a fuel credit of $2 per gallon and prices vary from around 2 bucks to nearly 4 bucks a gallon (don't fill up in Las Vegas McCarron)