PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerolineas Argentina A340 runway incursion BCN video
Old 6th Jul 2014, 23:51
RAD_ALT_ALIVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Judging by the speed at which the A340 was taxying as it crossed the runway, together with the relatively late go-around of the B767, my take on it is that the A340 crew had been cleared to expedite the crossing, but in the end didn't do it as quickly as the controller had expected/hoped (especially considering the turn - if the taxy route is correct - from D onto M).

Had it been a completely unexpected incursion onto RWY02, I'd have thought that the B767 crew would have commenced the go-around earlier.

I can't imagine any crew would cross an active runway at such speed, in clear conditions, without looking in both directions first. Nor can I imagine a scenario in which that same crew, having looked, could fail to see the heavy on final. Lastly, having seen the aircraft on final, I couldn't imagine a crew crossing that runway (with or without a clearance) unless they felt comfortable to do so by virtue of a clearance which of and by itself inferred that, if done without delay, would be a safe manoeuvre and expeditious to the flow of traffic at the airport.

I think it was an error of judgement (by both the controller and the Argentinian crew) instead of a careless compliance failure.

Let's also not forget that the A340 was at least 1km from the threshold when it crossed.

It was a dramatic-looking video, but I doubt it was a particularly dramatic event for either crew.