PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2014, 14:06
Ormeside28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaining An R.A.F. Pilots Brevet In WW11

Thank you Chugalug. Film most interesting. You see what a big chap was Mike Clancy, needed his strength to stop a cartwheel.

The annual Coastal/RN Summer exercise happened in June and several Lancasters came to Topcliffe. A co-pilot was asked for for one sortie, a convoy attack using special illuminants. Who volunteered? Me.
The very exciting exercise was carried out and I was put in the left hand seat for the return to Topcliffe. A Lancaster!!! and after three tours in Coastal, I still remember it.
Coming back from Lyneham one day, the captain asked me if I had ever thought of a Commission. I said that I thought about it all the time, so it had been discussed and interviews with various people were carried out. I had one to go, with the AOC at Odiham. I was posted, and thought that was it.
I was posted to the School of Maritime Reconnaissance at St Mawgan. All pilots in Coastal had to be navigators and a pilot and qualified navigator went through the course of three months together.
During the course I was sent for by the AOC at Odiham, and all was well.
The course was obviously geared to maritime subjects. Lots of navigation in Lancasters, astro, bombing and gunnery, ship recognition and a week at Portland with the Navy. It all culminated with a weekend in Gibraltar, my "oppo" a F/O took it out and I navigated back. We were diverted to Marham which entailed navigating through the London Control Zone (at that Time). Back to St Mawgan and postings. I wanted to go on flying boats, so was posted to Calshot to the Sunderland Conversion Course. My posting to O.C.T.U. at Spitalgate came through, so Calshot was put on hold.
The course at Spitalgate was three months, very much run by the R.A.F.Regiment, and I am sure that my training with the Glider Pilot Regiment got me through.
Commission through, May 1953, father came to parade and lunch!!
I had to report to Coastal Command at Northwood. What a difference. Met at station with a staff car and entered by front door!!
"You are here to get your posting?" "No I am going to Calshot" "Oh no you are not. Calshot has closed . You are going to Kinloss and you can choose, Neptunes or Shackletons". So I chose Neptunes.