PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2014, 03:44
Danny42C

Ormeside,

This idea of taking off with all manner of heavy equipment as loose "deck cargo", so that your Hastings looks like a decorated Christmas tree strikes me as hazardous in the extreme, and qualifies as Folly Above and Beyond the Call of Duty. Not this child ! Concur with Chugalug.

Your tale of the Hastings buried under the snow recalled the amazing tale (on TV some years since) of the batch of Lockheed Lightnings buried deep in the Greenland Icecap, and how one was incredibly (proper use of the word) dug out years later and brought up in bits, to eventually fly again.

Strange about the Americans being so sniffy about Sgt-pilots. Not in tune with their Classless Society at all. What was their objection ? (one of that noble breed Sept'42 - November'43 myself)...D

Chugalug,

How Time Flies ! Yes, my final years at Shawbury do seem to be telescoped a bit, don't they ? But I can't think of any more to say. As I mentioned in my #5542 p.278: "Now I've already said that, as we slowly grow closer to the end of my story, my memory does not get better (as you might expect)".
But worse !...D

ACW418,

Confirms that the Vampires at Linton simply were left to their fate if the occupants were too stupid to watch their fuel without the help of outside prompting .....D.

DFCP,

Clearly these are Orde Wingate's "Chindit" operations we're talking about. There must be miles of references on the internet.

Past my bed-time. Goodnight, all. Danny. sent 6.7.14.

Last edited by Danny42C; 6th Jul 2014 at 03:47. Reason: Typo.