PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2014, 22:44
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Ormeside28:-
We experimented with carrying a jeep and a trailer, or two jeeps or two trailers, on a beam under the nose (and the pilots).
In the traditional response, rather you than me, Sir! This configuration had passed into folklore by my time, to the extent that a trailer had supposedly become a gun, but whatever the makeup of this execrable arrangement it did not bode well for the business of overcoming gravity. That it was to be used operationally on a mass drop is news indeed, and I for one will follow your telling of it avidly.

Buster11, I second and third the wish to hear yet more of the Horsa. The whole business of how we operated gliders, how they were trained for, how they doubled up with the tug crews, how they were flown by RAF as well as Army pilots, all of whom were deemed to be combat troops as well, is a fascinating and still little understood part of our military aviation history. Ask your friend if he would kindly instruct us, please!

Danny, have you just hit Fast Forward? Are we already in 1968? Even I am now an old hand with 9 years under my belt and a mere 5 left. Where did it all go....?