PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Flying Jobs?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2014, 22:30
Kenny

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My advice, don't do it.

I left a job in the US, in the left seat of the RJ at one of the better regionals (in terms of pay), for a right hand seat in a 737 and I regret it, big time. Financially, I'm worse off and my quality of life isn't as good as it was in the US. Do not make the mistake of simply looking at pay scales and doing a $ for $ comparison. I earn around $40k more than friends of mine on 2nd year pay at United but have less in my pocket at the end of the month after taxes and paying bills.

Professionally, the flying here is as boring as batsh!t and I won't even go into the pedantic and anal way we approach everything involved in moving an aircraft from point A to point B.

Living here is a very different animal compared to coming for a few weeks, on vacation. The cost of living is far higher than any of the other 3 continents I've lived on and it's only getting worse.

As the man from "The great white north" said, you may approach things differently but every one of our friends from the UK and the US is actively trying to leave.

Last edited by Kenny; 5th Jul 2014 at 23:00.