PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How serious is a cargo fire?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2014, 22:04
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The boy stood on the burning deck.

Tender # 47 (1) -" if you actually know, how people in high stress situations with high consequences make decisions???
Framer # 49 –"That is just one incident and only my own thoughts so if someone could point us towards a study of how the evacuation injuries actually happen it would really add to this discussion.
I reckon pilots could come up with as many fire response 'solutions to scenario' as there are scenarios; limited only by imagination and training. These discussions (hanger or pub) are invaluable tools and in trained hands are put to good use, what?, maybe twice in a career. But the mindset and scenario lessons are there along with discipline and the default setting of being constantly 'emergency concious' and resolution oriented. So when a 'fire' situation rears it's ugly head; the time between reaction and action is reduced to nothing and a cunning plan executed; for the flight crew, so far so good.

Take someone who has never been on a horse, give them a two minute briefing; mount - start – steer – stop – dismount, then step back and say go for it. Lets assume our victim "Vic" manages to step on and gets the beast going in roughly the right direction then something startles the animal and off it goes. There can only be one outcome; tears, if you're lucky; visit to the emergency ward if not. Once Vic realises he has no control and even less idea of how to regain control, panic sets in, which is transmitted to the horse, which, being already paranoid increases it's frantic efforts to flee the danger. Things which were already relatively 'high risk' have moved swiftly to bloody dangerous.

The point of this Sunday ramble is that no matter what steps and decisions the crew make in an emergency situation the unknown element is response from the passengers. Here's Capt Rex, calmly, quietly dealing with his 'smoking hold', plans his evacuation, lands neatly, pulls up and does the checks; the crew in the back are on the ball – all good. It there was a muffled bang and flame shooting out from below decks, a 'routine' situation suddenly has the potential to end in tears. This is where the 'crew' earn their keep; I've seen sophisticated business men hurl little old ladies out of the way, and little old ladies set about a 6' 4" rigger with a handbag, simply because one additional 'element', trigger if you like, was added to the mix. Evacuation, we need to get them off, tout de suite; and until control is lost it's all good. All I am trying to say is it's a situation which needs some quiet contemplation, peer discussion and a little more thought given to the "what if" factor. The choices are unlimited.

For example, operating a much loved, modest, mid weight turbo prop one day, the number 1 donkey had a hissy fit, melted and much to my annoyance caught fire. The FO and I discussed (as you do) what best to do when we landed; good plan, duly executed. The RFF were approaching at speed and as the last man off I set course for less 'busy' area. I could see the crew had the passengers heading well away from the area; I glanced back (as you do) and hit the brakes – there were 6 people, lined up behind the wing staring at the still smoking donkey housing – no, not kidding. Fast 180 and back I go; "Excuse me folks" says I, "would you please follow me and we'll catch up with the rest of the passenger" (Well, words to that effect) "Not without our cheese" replies one worthy, stroppy like. Turns out, they were a group travelling together, who had spent large sums on some exotic cheeses and - they had slipped away from the crowd and wanted to get back on board - to effect a rescue. Happily, the RFF pitched up about then, I have never forgotten the look the WTF look the RFF crew chief gave me, I just shook my head. Needless to say, the passenger were duly 'rescued', sans cheese and not very much ceremony.

'We' train for operational emergencies, the unexpected; but people in a high risk, high stress situation can, will and do the most unbelievable things at the just the wrong time in exactly the wrong place. It's no more their fault than it is Vic's and the unfortunate plug he was riding.

End Sunday 'two bob' worth ramble. FWIW...