PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BTEC Aerospace Engineering...Mechanical or Avionic?
Old 7th May 2003, 01:51
Flying Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From someone who started off in the hangar and went flying,I would lean towards to doing a Mechanical course,as that way you can become handy in the hangar and in your early days of Aviation,if you can help fix light aircraft ,operators will be interested in you.When I had about 400 hours I worked for co in their hangar,with in 3 months I was flying their 182.....then 206.......then Partenavia.......then Islander.And when I was not flying I was always helping to maintain the aircraft,you are a commodity if you can fix and fly.There are plenty of people around who can fly.......but not many who can do both.
I would suggest to you now,try and get some experience working on Light aircraft.
I am working down in the Caribbean now,and I am Chief Pilot for small co,but I still help fix the Aircraft.........its a great skill to have......also I have broken down in third world countries and been dam glad i had the skills to get me home.