PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How serious is a cargo fire?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2014, 17:44
Capn Rex Havoc

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Hi Ivan,

Ill try to clarify it.

The following is Generically how I would approach a cargo fire event. -

If you get the warning in the air- Do the Ecam actions- Land ASAP, advise the purser to inform you if there is any sign of heat on the floor (even if that means removing his/her shoes), or sign of smoke in the cabin. If the answer is "Yes"- Evacuate after landing.

After landing stop, and request from fire services if they can see any signs of smoke or fire.

If "Yes" - Evacuate.

If "No" continue to gate and air bridge while still keep Cabin crew on alert. You can always evacuate prior to parking.

Prior to parking inform the fire service NOT to open the holds until all passengers have disembarked.

Disembark all passengers, and your crew then allow the fire services to open the holds.

The next bit is what I would have done had it had been me, in this scenario.

Cargo smoke warning - Do Ecam actions, commence high speed divert to nearest field- declare mayday.
Do a briefing to the purser (we use a NITS format) and ask the purser to keep me updated as to any signs of smoke/fire/hot floor etc in the cabin.
Now as it becomes apparent that there is a burning smell in cabin, then I can assume that the cargo smoke warning is genuine and serious. I would then plan for an evacuation onto the runway after bring the aircraft to a halt and after conducting the Evacuation checklist.

I hope than clears up any contradiction you perceived.

Cheers