PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea heli ditching: Oct 2012
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2014, 09:12
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Airbus Helicopters accept responsibility?

A helicopter firm has accepted responsibility for a ditching, according to lawyers acting for the 12 offshore workers injured in the 2012 incident.

The CHC-operated Super Puma EC225 was forced to land in the North Sea between Shetland and Orkney off Fair Isle.

Lawyers working for Irwin Mitchell have said manufacturer Airbus, formerly Eurocopter, accepts that it is “solely responsible for failures” leading to the crash.

An Irwin Mitchell spokesman said: “Lawyers at the firm have now received written confirmation from Airbus Helicopters stating that it accepts that it is solely responsible for the failures which led to the crew ditching the aircraft causing both physical and psychological injuries to those on board.”

The Super Puma was forced to ditch due to a failure in the gearbox lubrication system and a false warning in the emergency lubrication system.

The helicopter was flying from Aberdeen to the West Phoenix platform, west of Shetland when it ditched. Two crew were also on board the helicopter.

Jonathan Garcia, an ROV Pilot Technician on board when the helicopter ditched, said: "It has been a long wait for answers regarding the incident but, if any good is to come of it, it will be that steps are taken to improve offshore helicopter safety in the long term.

"Barely a day goes by when I do not think of the ditching. It was incredibly traumatic. Thankfully now that Airbus Helicopters has accepted responsibility, we should be able to start moving forward and receive the help and support we need to be able to move on with our lives.

“I hope that the aviation authorities and helicopter operators take the necessary steps to prevent anyone else going through what I have had to experience."

Jim Morris, a former RAF pilot and partner in Irwin Mitchell's Aviation Law team, added: “There have been a number of adverse incidents involving Super Puma helicopters in recent years. We now hope that the issues identified in the recent accident report are fully addressed as soon as possible to prevent any similar incidents in future.”