PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 250 Hours on Type Requirement for Ex Pats - Indonesia
Old 5th Jul 2014, 08:29
training wheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by November Mike
With regards to the purported DGCA 250 hours on type requirement for ex-pats wanting to work in Indonesia, has anyone ever had sight of this legislation?

There seems to be a mountain of confusion surrounding it. Some folk are of the opinion that it doesn't apply to helicopter pilots or fixed wing pilots operating aircraft with less then x number of seats.....the variations and interpretations are endless!

So if someone who has a copy of the DGCA legislation, could you perhaps post it on this site or point me in the right direction as to where I can get a copy of it? Would be much appreciated.

Anyone with any ideas?
Yes, I have it and here it is for downloading from the DGCA website if you'd like a copy for yourself.

http://hubud.dephub.go.id/?en/edar/download/87

There is indeed a lot of confusion over this rule since it is known that there have been foreign pilots who have a type rating with zero time on type who have been employed with certain Indonesian jet carriers. How they bypass this ruling, I'll leave it up to your imagination, but if you've lived here for as long as I have, then it's no surprise.

And here's the other new regulation that came in to effect October 2013, whereby the DGCA will no longer be issuing Indonesian licenses to foreign pilots (which includes getting an Indonesian ATPL). They will only issue validations based on your 'mother' license which means, you'll need to have your type rating on that license which I assume, means, you'll need to hire your own sim and do your yearly (or 6 monthly) proficiency checks back home.

The validation is only valid for one operator and one type rating so if you wish to move to another airline in Indonesia, (eg, Lion Air to Garuda) you'll need to to apply for a new validation.

If you already hold an Indonesian license (from the days when it was possible for foreign pilots to be issued with one), and you wish to work for a different Indonesian airline or charter company, then your Indonesian license automatically becomes invalid and you need to go through the process of applying for a validation based on your 'mother' license.

I've been told by a Lion Air recruiting officer (captain on the 737-900) that it is possible for foreign pilots at JT to get upgraded to captain, but on the condition that;

1. it's done on a validation of their 'mother license',
2. their original license has the 737NG type rating,
3. the original license will need to be an ATPL.