PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2014, 05:49
autoflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ticking the boxes

Expats in Asiana complete normal induction and examination standards. Citizens have somewhat enhanced pre-information re examination questions and examiner desired answers. My understanding is that there are absolutely no surprises at examinations or during the sim.

Examination and training is done by numbers. No need to think, just get the boxes ticked.

Of course, there is little or no need for CRM in the cockpit. Being Korean is most important, and seniority rules without question. The company is always right, and let us not blow away thousands of years of tradition!

It is no surprise that there is no culturally accepted procedure for less senior PNF to alert PF of developing danger.

Like some ME airlines, there is serious loss of face with a missed approach. In fact a fairly senior Asiana F/O failed to call my high ROD with tailwind at a difficult airfield. I made a missed approach anyway, and he was so disappointed to be associated with it, he complained though the whole missed approach procedure. It was obvious that his nationality and years in the airline needed to be made clear. It did not seem to matter that I was following proven correct procedure for the circumstances to remain safe.

Maybe that same F/O is now a training captain.