PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC Wings ATP Scheme (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2003, 23:51
lemon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CTC Phase 2 Selection Day

When you arrive, you all go into a room and give a brief introduction of yourselves (where you're from, aviation background, etc). You are then taken up to a room with computers which you sit at and do the computer tests. They start with a hand-eye co-ordination test with a joystick and rudder pedals. Nothing you can really prepare for on this.

The next part of the computer test is mathematics I think - just basic stuff. Then there's a test where you are given a display of an RMI and a Attitude Indicator and from a selection of 4 over head views of an aircraft and a VOR you have to decide which one relates to the instrument displays and also say if the aircraft is climbing or descending.

There's a section on multi-tasking where you have to input autopilot changes to altitude, heading, and airspeed using the keyboard keys and at the same time cancel a red warning which can appear in one of 9 boxes (3x3) and you cancel using the relevant number on the 1 to 9 numerical keypad on the computer keyboard.

There were some other small things in the computer test that I can't remember but nothing difficult from what I can remember.

They then give you 2 small written tests. The first one is again basic mathematics but applied to flying. Questions like "you want to be at 1000' 5 miles from the beacon. You are currently at 8000' and 20 miles from the beacon and your airspeed is 150kts. What descent rate do you need?" So basically, a few distance/speed/time questions. Know the 1/60 rule also because I think there's a question on that.

The other written test is general aviation things like what does MDA stand for, what does DER (Departure End of Runway) stand for, how long does it take a jet engine to spool up (6-8 seconds). That's all I can remember from it.

Then you have lunch and after that you all go into a room and discuss about 2 topics. It's just to see how you interact in a group. As I said, my topics were "Has autopilot made the pilot a lazy person?" and "Should cannabis be legalised?"

And that's it.

CTC Phase 3 Selection Day

This day consists of 2 parts. The team work part and the interview. In the team work section you are given a scenario such as being stranded on an island with a group of people. You have a list of items that are available but you can only choose a certain amount and you have to decide as a group which ones to take and which to leave. Again, this is just to show how you work within a group - completing the exercise is a bonus but don't worry if you don't. If you worked well as a team, that's all that counts. You also get to build something like a crane or a bridge out of blocks and again it's a team work excersise.

The interview then is after lunch and lasts about 20 minutes to half and hour. It's basically getting to know you, you're background, you're interests, and they give you some moral scenarios. Like I said, one was "you're with an experienced captain, you're approaching the final approach fix and the RVR is below limits but the captain elects to continue, what do you do?" The other one I got was "you're on a nightstop and you notice that one of the cabin crew is high on drugs - what do you do?" There's many answers to both questions.

Best of luck!