PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How serious is a cargo fire?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2014, 02:44
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But it is scenario sensitive.

Framer - 21 evacuations in total 2444 off loaded; 91 fatal and 78 serious damaged.
Curious now, I wonder, is it possible to get data on the fatal and serious? In terms of 'how' the accidents occurred. It would be interesting to see what were the cause of the damage. I mean how many missed the slide, or fell off the wing and how many were caused by 'panic-push'; from those behind them. A for real evacuation is an 'interesting' study experience, I know passengers can do the most extraordinary, unexpected things and it is really difficult to keep 'control' of the situation. In a perfect world it should be a simple exercise, to pop the slides and doors, man the exits and have a calm, orderly, controlled exit: No Madam, the bag stays behind. But human nature being what it is, it's not an easily managed situation and very scenario sensitive.

The reason I mention it, is here we have a situation (sketchy on details) where the options are to park at the gate with a "burning aircraft" or evacuate at a distance. Both present a risk, but assuming the aircraft was actually on fire (no data). If it had to happen, Mstr Caution had the best possible scenario.

If you don't know, for certain sure how bad (or good) the situation is, below decks, where the RFF crews are and if the 'stairs' can be arranged, you're stuck with Hobson's choice. Tough call, but without 'knowing' what, if anything, was alight; I think in this scenario, I'd opt for an attempt at an 'orderly', precautionary, evacuation; far from the terminal as being the lesser of the two weevils. On balance and without being there, given the circumstances and information.

Never had a 'good' fire experience; not even when someone's child set fire to the dunny paper, just for a laugh; they were amazed that I thought it not terribly funny...

Last edited by Kharon; 5th Jul 2014 at 02:50. Reason: Ta 330 – that puts a different slant on it.