PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 5th Jul 2014, 00:50
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What should have happened at the very beginning, when pilots with CVD were first permitted to fly, was a proper prospective study regarding the way that these individuals operated aircraft in all conditions. Unfortunately, it was not done.
Ausdoc,
I very strongly recommend that you reread and seriously consider the reasoning supporting the Denison AAT decision.

Core to that decision was that CVD "normal" had never been established by any scientifically conducted studies as an aviation requirement ie ; the "standard" has been carried over from military screening standards.

I would further point out that, last time I looked, use of colour in "glass" instruments was restricted to the four standard printing colours, plus black and white.

I believe it is quite incorrect to say that there is increasingly "sophisticated' use of colour in aviation operations.

Indeed, one might read the derivation of "sophisticated", and who were the Sophists, quite appropriate, really.

Tootle pip!!

PS: Hoover's FAA medical was withdrawn because two FOIs "thought he looked frail" --- when he objected (as bureaucracies do) the "FAA" lined up against him, en mass, to support "their own". I got to know Hoover in latter years, he was eternally grateful for what Australia did for him, not only the enlightened medical section, but Flying Operations in the form of Barry Diamond and the RVAC, who tutored him to pass the exams he had to do. Never again are we likely to see a CPL flight test, multi rating, initial issue of an instrument rating, aerobatic rating and an unlimited low level waiver --- all in the one flight.

Last edited by LeadSled; 5th Jul 2014 at 01:29.