PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Aftermath
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2014, 15:35
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HH,

If I may offer a couple of minor points:

Hermes and Invincible maintained the CAP until Hermes went home, and then Invincible took the CAP task on. (Invincible had been in charge of CAP duties since day one of the conflict anyway).

When Hermes went home the GR3s were ashore at Stanley. They assisted with CAP, but to the best of my knowledge usually paired with a SHAR. SHARs were sent ashore from invincible to perform Stanley based CAP, but also maintained the task from the ship. There were a number of CAP launches from Stanley, but (again to the best of my knowledge) no serious incursions by Argentine aircraft.

Lusty arrived later (mid Aug I think) allowing Invincible and her record-breaking air group to return home. Phantoms arrived later once Stanley had been suitably equipped, which took some time.

Oh, and OFO, we also made sure that hundreds of Falklanders (not 'Bennies', Falklanders) didn't get shipped over to the mainland and get 'disappeared' by a bunch of murdering vicious clowns. Call me naive, I'd chalk that up as a 'win'.

However, as ever, happy to respect any opinion.

Hope this helps

Engines