PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2014, 13:33
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
After an introductory flight, the next flight was with an alternative instructor, with an overbearing reputation, and included a GCA. Shortly after stabilising the descent the instructor closed the throttle without further comment; my thoughts immediately focussed on speed, altitude, high/low key, … perhaps overlooking geographic position in deference to altitude, etc. After what appeared to be an age, the instructor said “what now”; I was lost for an answer
Of course you were lost for an answer and that is not your fault. After all, did this bloke first demonstrate what he perceived you should do before giving you a go at embarrassing yourself while he had a quiet sneer under his oxy mask? I bet he didn't. As you said, the instructor had an overbearing reputation. What you probably didn't know then was he was "a smart-arse". These personalities exist both in the military and civilian flying.

Judging by your later comments on how much you learned a lesson from this character, I would say you were probably a victim of Stockholm Syndrome. It was the fault of your imbecile RAF instructor who was presumably tasked to train - repeat - train, not "test" you. Again from your description of the event he displayed piss poor instructional technique by throwing you in the deep end - sink or swim. I look back at my own student days in the Air Force and can only sympathise with those unfortunate students who were scrubbed for perceived lack of flying ability, when in fact most of the time the instructor was the problem - we called them Screaming Skulls behind their backs of course. Passing an instructors course does not necessarily mean that one automatically is transformed into a good instructor. Far from it in fact. The Commanding Officers of these characters in general never have a clue what was going on under their command since no student in the military would dare to complain.