PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How serious is a cargo fire?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2014, 12:56
ANCPER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MC

For along time I've held the view we don't know enough about what RFF can do, also we lack any real knowledge about fires other than "bad". I don't think we are trained enough about using the Fire Commander or given any real info on the RFF in general, however it would be a brave pilot to assume anything based on a little knowledge and simply go off and change procedures. One point that has been drilled into me over the years and that is with fire time is of the essence. You'll be lucky to have a fire where the RFF is on immediate hand as you come to a halt, ready to act. In addition, while I like the idea of an precautionary evac with stairs, again it's the time factor waiting for them to get to you.

Broken bones etc can be mended, it's a lot harder doing skin grafts and as always you'll be facing the inevitable "you didn't have the full picture and you waited, WHY?" Taxiing to a gate, waiting for the bridge/stairs takes time, time you MAY regret not using differently later.

Btw, those who say..."go to the closest gate"...good luck with that. How are the gate attendants going to know why you've pulled up unscheduled, don't expect the bridge to just roll out while they're making calls saying "who TF is this" on the phone. Lots of confusion likely in that scenario.