PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accessing one's own medical records ahead of Class 1 medical
Old 4th Jul 2014, 10:46
Legalflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accessing one's own medical records ahead of Class 1 medical

Apologies if this has been discussed before. I've searched previous threads and don't appear to have found the answer. This is my first post on this site.

I'm considering a career change and have always loved planes and flying. However, from the reading and research I've done so far, I understand that getting through the Class 1 medical is worth doing immediately, since if one doesn't pass the medical, then there's no chance of being a commercial airline pilot.

I'm concerned as to whether I would pass the medical, owing to a bout of serious depression over a decade ago, where I was voluntarily hospitalised on two occasions. Whether this would be a deal-breaker remains to be seen. However, I wondered if anyone had requested to see their medical records ahead of making an appointment for a Class 1 medical, in order to determine exactly what information is held about you and thus to establish exactly what does and doesn't need to be disclosed?

Also - which medical records would the doctors at the CAA have access to? Everything from every source since birth? A summary provided by the GP? Something in between? I've looked at the CAA website and it isn't clear what sources they will rely on.

If anyone could shed any light on this, I'd be most grateful.