PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight engineer Roy Mole and other Vickers/BAC flight test personnel
Old 4th Jul 2014, 09:15
petitb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wisley Flight Test

I will try to put something together and send it to you.

You are correct it is Lew Roberts not Lou, and Peter Baker took over as project pilot when the second prototype flew.
Peter assures me he is still "warm"!.
Another Flt Test Observer who must be mentioned was Dick Wright a long serving Wisley man who became the Chief FTO on the 1-11, and sadly died in the crash. He was a personal friend of mine. I was flying in G-ASHG with Dick, Jock Bryce and Mike Lythgow the evening before the disaster the following day.

On your website and on the subject of the failure of the hinge bracket on G-ARTA; Maurice Ungless is correct in his comment about the periscope, I can assure you that Chris Mullen was not looking through any periscopes. In fact, quite unbelievably Chris had noticed some undue movement on the subject elevator position desyn display on his auto-observer panel, he had relayed this twice to Trub who said to "keep an eye on it". This was all on the intercom tape played back in the office immediately afterwards.

Now, after the loss of the 1-11 and the fact that no-one managed to bail out, Flight Test introduced a procedure, (where none had existed before!), for the evacuation in the event of an emergency. Amongst other things it was the Captains call to evacuate, and a rotating beacon was installed in the cabin. Also the firing point for the escape hatch was replicated at the Chief Observers position in the cabin.

Chris had his own ideas about all this and briefed his team that HE would decide if/when to evacuate and to blow the escape hatch. This he did on the day as the flight crew were somewhat diverted. As you would expect the cabin immediately filled with vapour, and, not that they aware of it at the time, the escape hatch tube between the floor and outer skin was blown out by the rapid decompression and so became completely useless as a means of evacuation. All this coupled with the porpoising and g forces gave rise to some lively intercom with Trub shouting "Don't go Chris, don't go, I have it under control."
It would be very interesting if someone had the tape, but it was over 50 years ago.