PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How serious is a cargo fire?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2014, 05:28
Mstr Caution

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I wouldn't advocate taxiing to the terminal.

I would advocate, stopping on the runway & taking a deep breath before calling for the Evacuation checklist.

Speak to your training department at your own airline & have a read of the capabilities of ARFFS.

http://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/m...50_5210_23.doc

In short. As the aircraft is slowing on the runway, ARFFS vehicles will be using infrared detection systems to locate the source of heat and fire.

As you park the brake your aircraft may be subject to a skin piercing probe that penetrates your cargo hold and immediately provides a massive volume of fire suppressant to extinquish the fire.

Meanwhile. It may start raining in the cabin as other probes pierce the aircraft upper fuselage surface & spray water into the cabin to both reduce heat levels, ventilate possible smoke and provide immediate relief from the affects of a possible onboard fire.

So, stop on the runway. Pause & give thought to that fact you may achieve immediate and better relief than directing the punters down the slides.

Have the fire commanders frequency up on comm 2 and consider what assistance may be available seconds after you park the brakes.

(The usual caveats regarding my advice apply)

MC.