PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heightened security at U.S airports (and overseas?)
Old 4th Jul 2014, 00:25
7x7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I note more than a few comments here expressing what can only be called cynicism about governments and government agencies having hidden agendas in ramping up security. I'm as fed up with the security measures we endure post-2001 as anyone here, but the cynicism makes me wonder what would have happened if the US had pulled off a "Bruce Wiliis" last minute "save" and quietly arrested the 19 young Arab men at three separate airports (or, if you want to take the Bruce Willis thing to an extreme, if some heroic passengers had overcome all the hijackers on board the aircraft after the hijackers had shown their hand)?

- 90% of the population would have gone "ho hum" and got on with their lives.
- visitors to airports in the US would still go right to the gate.
- Governments would never have been able to bring in 90% of the security measures that have since that day. The civil libertarians would never have allowed it.
- The 19 young Arabs, particularly if denied boarding, would have walked away uncharged - and if charged, would almost certainly have got off scot free, doubtlessly enthusiastically defended in court by well-meaning American lawyers.
- 99.9% of the population could not bring themselves to believe that the concept of suicide hijacking could be even a consideration.
- no Gulf War 2 (or at least another excuse would have to have been found for it)
- no Afghan war
- what else?

Last edited by 7x7; 4th Jul 2014 at 02:49.