PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 19:50
safetypee

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Excuse a slight thread drift:- ‘has the 'last resort' of ejector seats in military aircraft affected the number of pilot error accidents?’ I don’t know, but I prefer not to use ‘error’.

A life-long memorable event from training:-
Shortly after ‘first-solo’ with continuing attention on aerobatics and judgement of engine-out landings - altitude, speed, high/low key, geographic position, and speed/wind; the weather pattern changed more conducive to instrument flying. After an introductory flight, the next flight was with an alternative instructor, with an overbearing reputation, and included a GCA. Shortly after stabilising the descent the instructor closed the throttle without further comment; my thoughts immediately focussed on speed, altitude, high/low key, … perhaps overlooking geographic position in deference to altitude, etc. After what appeared to be an age, the instructor said “what now”; I was lost for an answer - wrong mind set – “this is a situation in which you eject – not an engine-out landing”. The GCA was resumed; only then with debrief and extensive self-analysis was the overriding importance of understanding the situation made so clear – the basis of a decision to eject - quality training.

This has remain with me ever since, and particularly the vital importance of understanding the situation to aid selection of an appropriate course of action, which helps reduce exposure to ‘error’, but hinging on timing – the appreciation of time available, and an understanding of the developing situation ahead of time, and furthermore having an optional course of action – an undo button; knowing what is important in specific situations … requiring knowledge and situation awareness, ad infinitum.

Does modern training provide sufficient practice for situation assessment, consideration of courses of action, and appreciation of ‘time’? Are training syllabuses sufficiently flexible to enable learning from error, vice one attempt / demo, which must succeed, else … no more time, money, etc.

“Time is the reef upon which all our mystic ships are wrecked.” ― Noël Coward, Blithe Spirit