PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 19:44
gopher01

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Kuwait smoke

I have tucked away somewhere video taken by BBC Bristol and Central South from flights through the smoke on the way into K.C. during GW1. I managed to appear in both but as I wasn't in the UK when they were transmitted still being in Bahrain, both companies very kindly put their programme onto the same tape for me when I got home. The BBC programme was quite interesting as the presenter wanted some footage of him on the ramp, ramp open, as we transited the smoke on the way to K.C. so the captain obliged with everybody duly harnessed up. We started with the presenter about three feet from the ramp edge and the cameraman at the hinge line but the cameraman couldn't see the presenter through the smoke coming back in over the ramp, in the end he was about eight feet from the guy before he could get him on camera. The presenter complained about this until we reminded him that the guys up front were flying the aircraft with this visibility at which he went very quiet!
At the time we were doing this little job we had four Hercs in the smoke all making very sure that they were telling everybody else what height they were at and what their heading was, apart from Snoopy who was stooging around on top sampling whatever it was they sampled.
The most worrying bit though was being the first aircraft into Ali Al Salem and being told not to go off the runway as they hadn't checked anywhere else for mines and flying over the HASs, very similar to the ones I had hidden in in Germany and seeing them blown open by the latest munitions, made you wonder why we bothered with them!