PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A B-29 just overflew my house
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 17:18
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Well I stopped by after work - Fifi is parked at the "Historic Flight" at Paine Field (Historic Flight), which I somehow didn't even know existed even though I live just a few miles away.
I got there about 4:45 and was immediately dismayed to see the museum hours as "9 to 5", but when I walked in I was informed that the hours were extended to 6pm while Fifi was there . Paid my $15, and was told to just walk out to the airplane, one of the volunteers would give me a tour.
Sure enough, got out there and was looking up at one of the engines (I am a propulsion engineer after all) and a nice fellow named Al came up and asked if I wanted the tour. Took me up in the airplane and around the forward 'half' of the airplane (everything forward of the bomb bays), then I was allowed to climb up the ladder and 'look around' the back half (but not actually climb inside).
After we were done with the B-29, he took me inside the museum's B-25 (Grumpy) and DC-3, before we went back inside and we checked out the F7F, F8F, P-51, and Spitfire airplanes (all part of the Historic Flight collection - only the B-29 belong to CAF). Oh, and all of the Historic Flight's airplanes are flight worthy and fly on a semi-regular basis (I'd seen a couple of them flying around at various times in the recent past). All really, really cool...

They'd added a few flights for Fifi and had a few openings on Saturday, but I have a prior commitment (ironically with the Seattle Museum of Flight) so that's still out.

As an aside, Historic Flight makes a total of 4 air museum facilities at Paine Field - Museum of Flight Restoration Center, Future of Flight (where the Boeing tours originate), and Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection (most of the FHC collection is flight worthy as well).