PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 16:22
Wee Ronny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 Squadron Vengeance details

Hi Danny (and anyone else interested)

First, the "not" is missing as you say, you spotted the deliberate mistake, well done.

The details I have here, for the time awaiting the Mosquito, are as follows: -

The unit had 4 X Vengeance III and 2 x Vengence II and a Harvard (accordng to Don Neate's book) the Mk II's must be AN780 & AN764 that my Dad flew, as they are shown as this mark in his log. The other pilots with my Dad in the Vengeance's were F/O Paterson, F/O Downer and F/O Poole he also lists F/Lt Milnes and F/O Downer as pilots in the Harvard with him (FT193). In the Decemeber (8th to 18th) he did an Engine test, Familarisation flight, Solo, Practice General Flying and 3 dives in the VV. He didn't fly at all in the January 1945. The Mossies arrived in mid Feb 45 so the VV must have left by then. It seems that the VV III's in MU store had problems with their fuel tanks and they leaked very badly (Not inhibited correctly it seems) and not enough replacement tanks to swap them all out. Don Neate's book says that the VV flying was "Local" (and nothing else) so it must have been similar to what my Dad did above. Two flights of VV from the Squadron were to go back to the front on 30th Dec but this was quickly cancelled as the Mossie's were coming earlier than was expected.

I have a list of the all the VV's ( & Mossie's) that the squadron used if anyone wants that info.

Hope this helps.

If you ever want to chat, please pm your number and I will call you.

Cheers

Al

Last edited by Wee Ronny; 3rd Jul 2014 at 16:27. Reason: additional info