PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 13:55
dubbleyew eight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
altough I am a pilot (with no colour deficits) I come at this problem from the industrial control systems environment.
I cannot believe the utter stupidity of the protagonists who push the CVD barrow.

if the colours are a problem then CHANGE THE COLOURS.

in the industrial control systems environment there is quite some history to colour perception problems.

the original instrumentation standard from back in the days of pneumatically controlled systems was that a running machine displayed a red indicator atop it to indicate that it was running and dangerous to approach. a stopped machine was safer and showed a green indicator to show that it was safe to approach.

then with the advent of computer based instrumentation like the Citect systems I worked on, the programmers were more attuned to traffic light logic and eventually most computer displays showed green as healthy and running and red as faulted or stopped.

so red and green can have totally the opposite meaning in a control system depending on whether the old instrumentation logic is used or the newer traffic lights logic is used.

there are colour blind operators on sites. in one notable instance the introduction of a new updated control system caused monumental problems on the site. it was discovered that about 68% of the workers on the site were colour blind and the errors were because they couldn't work out what the colour symbology was on the new displays.
when the engineer twigged to this he had realised from talking to the guys that they had no mental deficits. the software was suave enough to allow dynamic recolouring of the display logic so he changed all the displays so that the colour sets for the logic could be switched by the operators at the press of a button.

the normal logic is red stopped, green running, blue out to maintenance, grey not in service, flashing indicating running faulted.
there are other colours and logic states used but I forget them.
what the operators decided on was a colour set that included yellow, brown, blue, white, grey among others.
they can change the display logic at the press of an on screen button.

the engineer who did the work professed that the screens looked like nothing on earth compared to a "normal" screen but the error rate dropped to nothing after the change.

also in an allied area of electrical work the red green black colours used in wiring changed to brown blue and striped yellow and green to make electrical wiring in houses safe with colour blind technicians.

the problems have been faced and solved in two areas of industry that I am familiar with.
why aviation regulators are so perennially stupid on this just beggars belief.

if there is a colour problem change the colours.