PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 10:32
ancientaviator62

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Smudge.
Whilst I was at JATE, I was the ALM on the drop where the MSP (high frame) clipped the 'ducksbill' as it left the a/c. What happened was that the wire transfer release cable was about 6 ft too short so causing the platform to rotate before it was clear of the a/c ! (if anyone is interested I will explain) We were experimenting with these wire cables wrapped in a plastic sheath as we had instances of them cutting into the parachute risers. The plastic should cut down on the whip effect and also blunt the wire cable. As usual with trials some bits were made in house. This cable was made in the JATE workshops by a civilian who for reasons never explained made it too short although marked as correct. His union told him not to testify at the Inquiry so he did not. Not the first nor the last time that this situation has occurred in other parts of the RAF ! All the other cables he made were correct. If the cable had been much shorter you would not be reading this.
The Inquiry found that this was the cause of the incident and sent the report 'up the line'. It bounced back with what was a virtual demand to find some service personnel culpable. The President of the Inquiry sent it back exactly as before effectively challenging the system to reconvene the board from scratch. It backed down and accepted the findings.