PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reserved Seating Allocation and Minors
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 09:16
Wannabe Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been feeling very guilty with myself over this issue.

Last week on a flight JFK-DXB-DEL, i took particular care to online check in on time to select all my seats for the long flight. As luck would have it I have it I had a couple and a lap baby in the seat next to me from JFK with the kid being extra cranky for most of the journey including kicking stuff over repeatedly.

On the DXB - DEL sector i had chosen as close to the front of the aircraft in Y class as possible to ensure I did not get stuck in the sub continent baggage trap and get out of the aircraft and immigration as fast as possible.

On reaching my seat it was occupied by a person who said if i could switch seats with him further down about 15 rows middle seat. His wife and 11 year old kid were in window and middle and I was in aisle. He claimed his wife was pregnant and he wanted to sit with her (Probably real early term as not visible). I was particularly irritated and normally would have obliged but after the prior flight politely declined as said I had chosen this seat and did not want a middle or back of the aircraft for a reason.

He was polite enough and got up and subsequently organised multiple moves to ensure his family was seated with him finally.....but i did feel a little guilty later......

Could the air crew have forced me to give up my seat and exchange?.........the splitting the family up issue is hard and would make sense if computer system did talk to each other, but kinda defeats the purpose of online check in and blocking your seat a FF......