PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 08:30
thorn bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet year after year professional CVD pilots are required to undertake the same scrutiny of their standards and ability, during the same checks that "normal" pilots do, and nothing..not a hint, not the tiniest scrap of concern from any of their checkers.

If there was the slightest shred of concern it would have surfaced by now.

For goodness sake after a quarter of a century in this country, and a whole lot longer in other enlightened places, not a single definitive example of CVD having the slightest affect on a pilots ability to safely commit aviation.

Sorry Doc. that's a whole lot of positive research, show us the research to the contrary.

Regarding DAME's and CAsA's rather demeaning attitude towards them.

I question why CAsA deems it necessary to squander, how many zillions, of tax payers money? on some Flim Flam "Training" exercise.

Are Australian doctors competent or not?

I'm told by DAME friends that the so called training exercises are very like the professional development courses ATO's are required to attend.
More being lectured AT rather than lectured to, hardly education.

I reiterate there is ample research, in the history of FAA medical examiners that doctors are perfectly capable of assessing whether a pilot is fit or not.

The furphy of liability is exactly that.

In the most litigious society in the world is there or has there ever been a problem?

Given the size of the US industry, the massive numbers of pilots the FAA must medically administer, is there any issue with their DAME's issuing medical certificates?

I go to the same DAME every year to renew my medical's. Same process. Difference is my FAA medical is issued on the spot.

My CAsA medical is given a three month extension, until some clerk in Avmed adds up the points and decides if I can earn my living or not...and for that "service" I have to pay a fee of $75.

As someone once said "What a nice little earner"

Someone else might call it corruption.

Last edited by thorn bird; 3rd Jul 2014 at 09:43.