PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a DC-3 from Ipoh to Taiping:
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2003, 19:15
Prince of Dzun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sultan Ismail:
Thanks for the kind words and especially thanks for the picture of old Simpang Airport. I remember that approach very very well and by the look of the airport buildings and hard standings things have hardly changed much in 45 years. I can't quite make out the embankment at the southern end of the runway but I guess it is still there. That embankment was marked with large red and white crosses and was something to think about. It always seemed to be looking at you when lining up for take off. Of course the best thing to do was to ignore it.

Your nom de plume of "Sultan" reminded me of the present Sultan of Brunei's father. I spent a six month period posted from Malayan Airways to their feeder service in Labuan (Borneo Airways) flying the DH-89A Rapide and a frequent passenger was the elder Sultan. I recall he did not appear to travel with body guards and dressed as just another passenger.
However, there was one small difference because he always requested two side by side seats and he would put his revolver on the seat next to him. I wonder if the present Sultan knows his father was content to look after himself.

Prince of Dzun

P.S. When you take that PA-28 through the Taiping Gap think of me. Don't forget to put the wing up against the hills but watch out for power lines as they are everywhere these days. Things change so be careful.