PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 21:29
Danny42C

Wee Ronny,

Back to your #5893 (think you've missed a "not" from your second para): Btw, I agree with your Dad's assessment of the VV (except that "Flying Bus" was a bit too generous - "Flying Brick" was more like it !)

Given that the VVs were there, what did 84 do with them ? Did the old brigade do any practice dives (to keep their hands in in case they were wanted again ? - as it was thought probable for a while, the Mosquito problem remaining unsolved and maybe would be found insoluble). Or were they just swanning around ? In which case, why not offer me one to play with ?

That of course was the reason I was there at all. It starts to make sense now. 84 would be the first to be "re-converted" from Mossie back to VV (in which case your Dad might have had me as his Instructor !) So they'd let them keep a few of their old VVs to be the "School" aircraft.

As I've related, the boffins had just had their "Eureka !" moment when I arrived; it was a case of: "That was Yesterday - it's All been Changed". I was a Supernumarary (probably on 84 Sqdn strength), so I could fly FT193 (clearly the Squadron "hack"). They got rid of me on New Year's Day to 1580 Calibration Flight at Cholaveram.....D.

Ian BB and Flash2001,

(From Wiki) Seems you're both right ! (although the cases are quite dissimilar)....D.

Cheers to you all, Danny.