PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 18:16
ancientaviator62

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

OK, Coff although it is well out of sequence of my tales we will continue the Volant Rodeo theme. This is me on my second VR with my 'minder', a super bloke with a great sense of humour. My first VR was as an umpire the year the RAF decided they could not afford to send a full team for the competition. In order not to lose touch they sent a couple of us as umpires. We went out civvy and came home 'Hercair'. As I was an 'orficer' the USAF assumed I was a pilot and initially scheduled me to do the Flt Deck umpiring. Not really a problem because all you had to do was log all the relevant times etc IAW a 'crib' sheet. It was very interesting flying with foreign airforces on C130, C160 and the 141.
A team at the DZ/LZ scored the touchdown and drop accuracy.
My second VR I just did 'down the back' umpiring. I also did the annual airdrop check on one of our ALMs, on one of the practice MSPs before the competition proper, who was participating in the competition. Pics to follow.
There was some concern by the USAF at our dropping from such a low height, but we convinced them that was our SOP.
There are two basic airdrop philosophies. You either use unstressed platforms and drop specially developed vehicles to withstand the forces involved (USAF and others) or you use a stressed platform and drop suitably prepared normal vehicles (UK system). So in theory we could take your car, prep it for airdrop and send it on its way with a good chance it will survive intact when it and the DZ meet. You pay your money and take your choice.
I had better stop here ! Any questions at the back for those still awake ?