PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Technical log - standard terminology.
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2003, 17:31
QAVION

"... hence, most mechanics stick to just listing the MM ref #. Yes, this leaves pilots out in the cold (they don't carry maintenance manuals) but mechanics are more concerned about getting busted by the FAA."

We are instructed by CAA (Australia) to list the MM ref #, but as far as I know, there is nothing against including additional text for the benefit of pilots and engineers, or carrying out additional maintenance (to eliminate as many possible causes of a particular defect as you can). I must admit, I haven't signed off a US aircraft for quite some time, so am not up to date with US regs, but I wouldn't be stopped writing in extra text if I thought it was necessary.

"In the US pilots are not allowed under any circumstances to fill in any actions taken by the mechanics."

I was thinking more along the lines of using verbal communication to provide the pilot with information which will provide a guide to a future log entry (if the problem should arise again). However, if he/she finds it necessary, for clarification, to quote some or all of what the engineer has told him/her, I don't see any harm in that.

Communication with the pilot may stop the pilot carrying out unnecessary actions in flight. I realize that pilots are trained to respond to particular events in a certain way, but in situations where time is _not_ of the essence, it doesn't stop them analysing the situation a little more thoroughly.

Where the defect has been quite complex, I make every effort to explain how I went about diagnosing the problem. If the pilot doesn't understand what I am telling him/her, I will try to word what I am saying differently.... or speak to the co-pilot

I am compelled to use MM references in my write ups, but I would never hide behind them (and legal-ese). We're in the business of safety, not watching our own backs. And when it comes to safety, there's probably no such thing as "too much information". Speaking to pilots about defects often provides me with a clearer picture of cockpit procedures and better ways to analyse defects (eliminate possible causes, etc)... and honest dialogue gives both parties a degree of confidence in a log entry which may not have been present beforehand.

Cheers.
Q.