PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider winch launch question
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 10:35
Tu.114

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The Ka 8 - a nice, docile little glider that is a pleasure to fly and can just barely kill you when flying without a rope attached. But during a winch launch, it turned into a nasty little beast trying to bite everyone involved.

The CG hook is mounted below the pilots seat, but moved a bit to the left side, as the centerline is already occupied by the nose skid. So not only the mentioned strong tendency to pitch up is present (due to the hook being WAY below the CG), it also loves to turn to the right just as rapidly during initial tow. When I first flew this type, I was a bit familiar with these effects from flying the K13 previously, but received a well justified and thorough warning to expect the same, only much stronger, by the instructor that signed me off. Still, I was surprised during my first launch.

A good winch driver makes much of a difference here; opening the throttle only moderately instead of jerking the glider into the air makes life much easier for the pilot. And in strong headwinds, a good launch has often resulted in release heights of 800-1000m (on a 1100m field) on this type.