PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Very British Airline?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2014, 21:40
Mr Mac

Received 160 Likes on 99 Posts
Kirungi 1
Ok I will bite, and give you a quick synopsis of my last 3nr LH haul BA flights to Nairobi ,Boston and JFK which were the straw that broke this camels back, bearing in mind I was already using EK/SQ for LH going east. All flights in Business or should have been.

New York
Man - LHR ok. Outbound to JFK gave up seat to Chairman as his in flight screen broken. Food patchy, and in comparison with SQ very poor(had flown back from lion city 2 days previous so good comparison). Chairman's bags lost !. Very unhappy with BA and me (why me ?, I wanted to fly Lufthansa !). Bags turned up 24hrs later in JFK - we were in Chicago by then !. My bag caught me up 3 days later. Chairmans never seen again !. Return from Philadelphia was ok, with Chairmans new carry on making journey with him, mine in hold I thought - silly me !, returned 24hrs later by "Fred" the white van man.

Nairobi flight
Outbound virtually accused of being an alcoholic for asking for some champagne to make a Bucks fizz at 10.00am by BA T5 ground staff in Club Lounge. Had serious conversation thinking it was a joke - it was not !. In flight entertainment unavailable as screen broke, food poor. CC who I went to speak (I was bored) were complaining about new T&C and rosters, with not a good word about their employer / carrier. Return flight duty free Gin confiscated (bought in Nairobi DUTY FREE) at T5 due to going on to internal flight to Manchester, and should have been told by BA staff in Nairobi according to security T5. Bags did not make connection to shuttle and returned early following day - coffee with "Fred" again, he takes 2 sugars, as I knew him well then, and likes digestives !.

Boston
Flight MAN - LHR delayed due to high wind so connection looking tight. BA got me on flight but no bags, which I can understand, as not BA issue. Not getting my bag for 3 days was their issue. Bag showed up in hotel when BA still saying it was in LHR - GO FIGURE. Return flight got down graded due to over booking (was flying on air miles) at the time, asked for Premium Economy and ended up in Economy. I asked for emergency exit and was told by BA ground staff at Boston "Honey you would have to be here 5 hrs ago to get those seats" !. Flight ok but no comment from CC on my situation, apart from shrug of shoulders, and told to take it up with BA upon my return. LHR - MAN more biscuit's for "Fred" with bag turning up at 8.00pm approx., after normal 05.30 approx LHR arrival.

To put this in context I was a Gold/Silver card holder with BA at the time as well as Silver /Gold with SQ/EK/LH. I have never met a "Fred" from any of those carriers either at home or overseas. I have not been down graded (or up graded yet either !) .They get me were I want to go, with my belongings, with in flight entertainment that works / reasonable meals, from my local airport, with staff, which by and large, are pretty good, with 1nr bad experience with EK as stated earlier.

I really do hope you get BA better, but count yourselves lucky that you are a London based carrier, which is currently the only fully thriving UK economy and you have most of the slots. If you are flying into Europe going via LHR from MAN is generally the long way around. Going further East the Mid East 3 and SQ pretty well cover it for me. Going West and South I use Lufty. Does some times feel odd when going West back over my house at FL38 but I do not go there often . I and my now ex Chairman no longer fly with you, as he pulled company account shortly after his North American adventure. Best of luck with BA. I do agree with you about British expertise running foreign carriers like EK, but does make you wonder why they could not make it in the UK. On the plus side Kirungi 1 Mrs Mac still uses BA to cross the pond once a month, so you have not lost both of us. Happy cone trails.

Regards
Mr Mac

Last edited by Mr Mac; 2nd Jul 2014 at 07:34.