PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 evacuation at Blackpool
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2014, 21:33
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's get one thing straight. Given the training system in the UK and the "Daily Wail" second-guessing interesting events (which I'm about to do), I'm not going to criticise the crew, just the system which they and the rest of operate in. I think AS had summed up the situation pretty well.

So now lets put the RFF category into context. Blackpool is Category 4 which means that the RFF appliances should be able to deliver between 2,400 and 3,600 litres (min. 40 liters/sec) of water and 1,800 to 2,600 litres (min. 30 litres/sec) of foam per minute. Now, please tell me where I'm going wrong. With that kind of discharge rate, even if the wheels are on fire and blazing away, a professional fire crew with that discharge rate should be able to knock that fire out. With hindsight, the advice to evacuate was probably not the best one.

And as I said with my first post, maybe we should reconsider these "Precautionary - Better safe than sorry - Can't be too safe evacuations - Safety First" evacuations. I'm sure we can often be safer by doing nothing.