PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leadership qualities required from a current raf leader
Old 1st Jul 2014, 20:48
Fox3WheresMyBanana

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recall a colleague of mine doing her M.Ed, and asking me to help her out with the management & leadership module. After about 2 paragraphs of meaningless drivel (which ran to 200 pages), I cast it aside, poured her a glass of red and said "OK, this is what Leadership really is". Six years later, she is a Headmistress.
My sister did the same as an Admin assistant, and 7 years later she is Head of Communications for a major London Council. And I do not count myself as any better than average in a 1980's RAF context. Almost any of the sensible posters here could, and probably have, had the same effect on people they know.

It's mostly inapplicable theory by people who've never led anyone, and in practice there is no leadership, because fewer and fewer "managers" are given any real authority to exercise any leadership.

p.s. Canadian Break, I'm an engineer by training - those are things you do to bridges, not people.