PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2014, 18:51
Danny42C

harrym,

Tragic, as you say, after his having handled the situation so well. I would never have thought that, with such a small area (relative to the elevators), the trims could be used to such good effect (just shows, there's always something new to learn !)

I very vaguely remember, many years ago, a similar case in the US, where a big three-engined type (DC-10 or Tristar - don't think a 727) lost elevator control for some reason. The pilot managed to control Angle of Attack and airspeed by juggling the thrust of the two underwing engines against that of the tail. IIRC, he ended up with a very bent aircraft, but 2-300 crew and passengers all alive and kicking. Curiously, it seems that he had practised doing this very thing on the simulator (premonition ?)

The case aroused no little indignation, as the President of his Company (who cannot have been a pilot), whom you would expect to have lauded and richly rewarded him for saving the firm from very bad PR (and his Insurers from a massive payout, which would have been reflected in the premiums), instead belittled the affair, saying (in effect) "It's only what he's paid to do, anyway". There will be PPRuNers who remember this....D.

Wee Ronny,

Your: "My dad flew the Vengeance with 84 Squadron a quite few times as the Mosquito's were delayed more than once". This made me "sit up !" I thought all the Vengeance had been withdrawn from the RAF Squadrons (45,82,84 and 110) in April or May'44 at the latest, as the Mosquito (Mk.6 ?) was coming in (with all new crews, of course). Your Dad's old (Vengeance) Boss was S/Ldr A.M.Gill, but I can't remember who the new one was. (Could he have been the unlucky one killed by one of the first "wooden wonders" to display its new parlour trick ?)

Later that year I went down to Yelahanka to reconvert the Mossie Crews back on to VV but on arrival found I was out of a job (a better glue had been found and it was "As you Were"!) But 84 Sqdn were still there, for I flew their Harvard FT193 (Auth: F/L Milnes) in December.

Did your Dad say anything about the Vengeance (in particular) or anything else in those times ? If he was in Yelahanka Nov-Dec '44, we would have been in the same Mess (but the name doesn't ring a bell). So many names, so long ago !

The mystery of W/Cdr Warren deepens (the shade of Baron Munchausen floats in the air). Can nobody get a "fix" on him ? (Even with no initials, there can't be all that many Wing Commander Warrens (GD Pilots) in the later columns of the '44 List)....D.

Cheers, both, Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 1st Jul 2014 at 19:21. Reason: Error.